Technology Consulting services specifically targeted for tech start-ups.
These services are offered with the specific needs of a start-up environment.
The foundation is fluid, the infrastructure "cloud-based" and configured in such a way to allow for an agile development environment.
Typically the environment is something like: AWS|Linode|Rackspace + GNU/Linux + Apache|Nginx|Varnish + Rails|Zend|Django + RDS|MySQL.
The code is backed in a git repository, with proper security permissions and of course we have a Work (development), Test and Live environment.
This list is comprised of information collected all over the internet, or through email lists. Direct copy and paste, the words are not necessarily those of the site operator
Books and Blogs §
- The Founder's Dilemmas
- The Startup Owner's Manual
- Lean Machine
Market Research Tools §
- Google Survey
- Survey Monkey
- Amazon Web Service
- Microsoft Azure
- Heroku is the leading open language cloud application platform and supports Ruby, Java, Python, Clojure, Scala, Node.js
- PHP Cloud Platform
- App Fog
- Service Provider Cloud Software
Mock-Up & Wireframing Tools
- Paper / Whiteboard
- Silly-fast mobile prototyping.
Coding & Development Tools
- Haven’t used Kendo much but am exploring the mobile version for an application I am working on. Have used Sencha ExtJS extensively. Each framework approaches the world a bit differently as you might expect.
Kendo instead layers on top of jQuery and looks to extend declarative markup by providing larger grained building blocks that typically attach to declarative markup more like jQuery UI stuff.
- Sencha ExtJS
- Most folks mistake the Sencha ExtJS framework as “free” due to it’s GWT heritage however for use in commercial application it must be purchased from Sencha.
- Also does charts
- At the time we integrated with them (about 2 years ago) they had great reviews and their event tagging wasn't available in many other SDKs. This is probably different now though.
- Have not had any issues with them yet and tech support is very responsive. All of my crash reports are reliably delivered and symbolicated
- Version 1.0 has been getting some lower marks, failures on crash reporting.
- Crittercism makes crash instrumentation tools for mobile devices. We're the primary reporting tool used by Netflix, Getaround, Slingbox, Atlassian, and Eventbrite, to name a few, who collectively push over 1000 load events/sec through our infrastructure.
Payment and Financial Processing
- Stripe is stupid easy to use at the API layer, reasonable cost. Gets the job done fast
- Amazon Payments
Load, Volume and Performance Testing
- Track and manage your affiliate program with unlimited affiliates & fast reporting
- Easily Create, Track & Manage Custom Referral Programs
Marketing Tools §
Analysis Tools §
- Daytum helps you collect, categorize and communicate your everyday data.
Payroll, Benefits, HR
- Everyone knows who they are
Screen Sharing / Presenting
- Powered by Cisco/Citrix/
- Google Hangout with Extras
- Cost effective, multi-platform
- Microsoft Lync Online
- Creates embedded web-site walk-throughs and some user interaction
Telephone (SIP/VoIP) Services
- This service also has Fax capabilities
- Text Messaging Everywhere
- Mighty Text
- A direct competitor to Twilio, provides similar services as lower cost
- Skype (Microsoft)
- From another Start-Up:
Skype has worked well for us for years for a basic business phone number with voicemail that is completely portable and extremely cost effective. It's also very portable which is important to us. You can pick your area code when setting up your number. Conferencing others in is drag and drop. IM's, video calls, traditional landline calls all go to the same place. We can also have it running on multiple current machines logged on as the same user and they all ring when someone calls.
- Have heard reports this is good in the beginning, however there are some surpise charges to the tune of $~75 for overages.
- Some dropped calls, spent hours on the phone with support but it did not help.
- Seattle-based company launching a cloud phone service that provides home-based and small businesses a professional phone number, call routing between employees, web voicemail and even web-site widgets
Misc / Uncategorised §